Monday, July 21, 2008

Confession

Since moving to Nashville, I have, for the first time in my life, begun a journal of sermon notes. I like pasting parts of the bulletin inside the journal, such as songs or scripture. This morning I was doing just that and thought I would post some of what I have here.

An important part of worship each week is a time of Corporate Confession and Repentance. I came to treasure this moment in woship when I was introduced to it through Washington Community Fellowship, Washington, D. C. Confession has become so important to me, because I realize that I would not take time to do so otherwise, and when I'm confessing the deepness of my humanity - so are 100 other people in the same room. I hope you appreciate the confession below, and that it allows you to grasp the fullness of Christ and His great mercy.

Gracious God,
our sins are too heavy to carry,
too real to hide,
and too deep to undo.
Forgive what our lips tremble to name,
what our hearts can no longer bear,
and what has become for us
a consuming fire of judgment.
Set us free from a past that we cannot change;
open to us a future in which we can be changed;
and grant us grace
top grow more and more in your likeness and image;
through Jesus Christ, the light of the world. Amen.


LORD God, so many of us so often are so fruitless. We know our lives should count for you but we see no fruit, no outworking of your presence. You tell us - and we agree - that this happens when...
We put our trust in our neighbors and our confidence in our friends instead of upon you. Forgive us.
We treat others, even our own parents, with contempt, and fail to live at peace even with those in our own family. Forgive us.
We don't hope in you - the God of our salvation - with the confidence that you will hear us when we pray. Forgive us.

In recognizing these things, we look away from ourselves now and rejoice in Jesus, in whom all our sins are now cast into the depths of the sea. Because of him, you pardon our iniquity and pass over our transgressions. Because ofhim you delight in your steadfast love and have compassion on us through your covenant of peace. For Jesus has tread ouriniquities under his fee, so we approach you with humility and confidence, as we pray in his name. Amen.

1 comment:

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

HUGS. We miss you, Kyla Joy!! Way to be an overachiever and takes notes at sermons. I love what you had to write here...